South American powerhouses Brazil and Uruguay are set to lock horns in a blockbuster FIFA 2018 World Cup qualifying clash at Arena Pernambuco in Recife on Friday night.
Uruguay are currently second in the CONMEBOL qualifying table after registering 3 wins and 1 loss from their opening four matches. The Los Charrúas La Celeste will welcome back star striker Luis Suarez for the match against Brazil, with the former Liverpool star set to make his first appearance for the national side since the FIFA World Cup in 2014.
Brazil, on the other hand, have slipped down to 5th place in the table following Argentina’s 2-1 win over Chile last night. The Selecao will be boosted by the return of Neymar, after the Barcelona winger complained of muscle soreness earlier in the week.
A win for Brazil will take them above their opponents on the night into second place.
Possible starting XI (4-2-3-1): Alisson; Alves, Gil, Miranda, Luis; Elias, Gustavo; Willian, Coutinho, Oscar; Neymar.
Possible starting XI (4-3-3): Muslera; Fucile, Coates, Alvaro Pereira, Victorino; Alvaro Gonzalez, Arevalo Rios, Sanchez; Rolan, Suárez, Cavani.
- Since their elimination from the Copa America in Chile, Brazil have lost only once in six matches.
- Dunga’s men hold a healthy head-to-head record against Uruguay, after winning in 8 of the 15 matches between the two countries.
- The Selecao are unbeaten in their last 7 matches against Uruguay, with the last 4 being wins.
- The last four matches between the sides have seen over 2.5 goals each.
- Uruguay won 4 of their last 6 matches and kept clean sheets in each of their wins.
Brazil 2-2 Uruguay
Brazil and Uruguay head into Friday’s match with little separating the two sides. Brazil’s formidable attacking quartet of Neymar, Oscar, Coutinho and Willian is good enough to unlock any defence in world football. At the same time, Uruguay have been tremendously boosted by the return of Luis Suarez to their starting lineup. An entertaining high-scoring draw is on the cards in Recife.
- Brazil: 1.53
- Draw: 4.00
- Uruguay: 6.00